Allotments are a wonderful place for communities, but they’re not great in all weather conditions.
Although some individual allotment plots have sheds and other small shelters, many allotments do not offer communal sheltered facilities for the green fingered members of the community. Rain is not uncommon in the UK, and having a place to stay out of the elements and have a warm drink would definitely be a welcome addition to allotment sites up and down the country. We have noticed that more and more people are requesting container conversions for this very purpose! A shipping container in itself is a blank canvas, and can be converted for many uses, so it is an ideal solution for allotments.
To give you a better idea of exactly how a converted container for an allotment might pan out in reality, we’ve got a bit of case study to share with you. We recently completed a bespoke container conversion for a very large allotment in the Manchester area. Have a look at the finished product…
The customer requested a container to be converted for the users of the allotment, so that they’d have a communal area that would provide shelter and basic facilities. With their purpose and basic specification in mind, we implemented the following features, fixtures and fittings to fulfil the brief:
- We lined the unit with plywood as once the container was in situ, they wanted to paint the interior themselves.
- We fitted the container with a kitchen unit and a water heater, so that users had access to hot water.
- We installed a consumer unit, lighting and electrical sockets so that users could access power points.
- We laid Polyflor with the container’s purpose in mind. It is hard wearing and easy to clean, which is important for allotment users.
- We fitted the container with UPVC windows and doors with multiple openings, so users could see out onto the allotment and enjoy plenty of natural light.
- We installed customer built security shutters, which increases the safety of the container, and makes it vandal-proof.
- We painted the exterior of the container in their chosen RAL colour (6007)
The customer was extremely happy with the container conversion they received. Not only did we convert the container, we also delivered and installed the unit. Now, the allotment is pleased to share this communal area – one that is secure, durable, multi-functional and will stand the test of time.
Surprised? Perhaps! It can be difficult to think outside the box if you’re considering a space-saving, space-creating or storage solution. However, if you think a converted container could be just the job, have a chat with our team for a friendly, no obligation chat about your upcoming project.